Title: Special Scientist for Research (Research Associate)
No. of Positions: Two (2)
Category: Employment contract
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence at the University of Cyprus announces two (2) Special Scientist for Research positions (Research Associate), focusing on Intelligent Transportation Systems, for full-time employment. The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct research under multiple KIOS CoE projects funded by the European Union, including the flagship KIOS CoE “Teaming” project, the project “Establishment of an Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) using Digital Twin technologies”, as well as other national or industry-funded projects.
Who we are:
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 180 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
What we do:
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures. Such infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on various high-profile projects with great impact on society and the environment, not only on a local but also on a global scale.
In KIOS we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support the continuous personnel evolvement and development, both personally and professionally, to fulfill your long-term goals. We offer internal and external professional training, covering both technical and soft skills.
The successful candidates are expected to:
• Conduct research in the areas of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
• Lead the execution of projects including the development and implementation of project plans, project deliverables and project reports in the areas of ITS and mobility data spaces.
• Follow and support projects related to Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
• Follow new calls related to the activities of the center and liaise with KIOS research groups, KIOS Innovation Hub, European Networks and KIOS partners for new proposals.
• Ensure project compliance with relevant regulations and standards.
• Participate in meetings (locally, virtually, and abroad).
• Publish research results in top international conferences and journals.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
• Attention to detail
• Problem solving skills
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Flexible and eager to learn
• Able to adapt in a fast-paced dynamic environment
• Have good communication, organizational and self-management skills
• Excellent knowledge of the Greek and English language
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or Computer Science or Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited institution
• Doctorate degree or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to Information and Communication Technologies or Engineering and Technology from an accredited institution.
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and will be between €1900 – €3200. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus government funds will be deducted. A 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Maternity Protection Law 1997(Ν.100(Ι)/1997), and the existing amendment laws.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link:
• Cover letter explaining the interest of the applicant in pursuing a career at the KIOS CoE, along with employment availability date
• Short summary of prior work experiences, activities and accomplishments (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
• Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD or other degree(s)
• A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
• Copy of an English language certificate (GCSE, IELTS, ETS, TOEFL, or other relevant certificate demonstrating proficiency in English).
• Identify at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 1st of September 2023, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The University of Cyprus (UCY) is committed to promoting inclusivity, diversity, and equality, as well as the elimination of all forms of discrimination in order to provide a fair, safe, and pleasant environment for the entire university community, where students and staff members will feel supported both in their professional and personal development, within and beyond their multiple identities. To this end, UCY seeks to create the necessary conditions that will encourage and respect diversity and ensure dignity both in the workplace and society at large. Moreover, UCY has adopted specific policies to promote equal opportunities, as well as respect and understanding of diversity, while it is committed to promoting and maintaining a working, teaching, and learning environment, free from any form of discrimination, whether direct or indirect.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.