Title: Special Scientist for Research (Research Associate and/or Research Engineer I)
No. of Positions: Two (2)
Category: Employment contract
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus.
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence at the University of Cyprus announces two (2) Special Scientist for Research (Research Associate and/or Research Engineer I) positions, focusing on Power Systems, for full-time employment. The successful candidates will conduct research and development activities within the context of research and innovation projects funded by Horizon Europe (including “HVDC-based grid architectures for reliable and resilient WIdeSprEad hybrid AC/DC transmission systems” (HVDC-WISE) and “Reliability, Resilience and Defense technology for the grid” (R2D2)), as well as provide technical and research support in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the monitoring, control and security of critical infrastructure systems.
Who we are:
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 180 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
What we do:
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures. Such infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on various high-profile projects with great impact on society, not only on a local but also on a global scale.
In KIOS we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support the continuous personnel evolvement and development, both personally and professionally, to fulfill your long-term goals. We offer internal and external professional training, covering both technical and soft skills.
The successful candidate(s) is expected to:
• Develop algorithms for the design, planning and operation of renewable-rich power systems.
• Develop monitoring, control, and optimization algorithms with application to future power systems in the presence of high penetration of distributed energy resources.
• Apply security and resilience assessment methodologies on future power systems for defining and quantifying widespread cascading risks.
• Develop algorithms for the design, modelling and control of HVDC converters and architectures and their integration to AC/DC transmission grid infrastructures.
• Develop software tools (with user interface) to perform a statistical analysis and visualization of the simulation results.
• Attend project meetings for technical coordination of tasks.
• Prepare reports and project deliverables.
• Contribute to the generation of results to be published in top international conferences and journals.
The required skills and expertise for the announced position include one or more of the following areas:
• Technical expertise and experience in simulation and modeling of power systems, using commercial simulation software (e.g., Python, MATLAB/Simulink, DIgSILENT PowerFactory, PSCAD).
• Probabilistic security and resilience analysis and quantification of large-scale, interconnected transmission networks.
• Develop algorithms for the integration of HVDC control and protection to state-of-the-art cascading event simulators and HVDC-driven operational mitigation strategies for transmission networks.
• Investment planning of power systems, including for example integration of HVDC architectures in future AC/DC transmission systems (proficiency in decision-making and optimization techniques, and relevant optimization software packages).
• Develop a software tool (with user interface) for data visualization and interpretation.
• Technical expertise on real time simulations and hardware in the loop investigations.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
• Problem solving skills
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Flexible and eager to learn
• Able to adapt in a fast-paced dynamic environment
• Have good communication, organizational and self-management skills
• Excellent knowledge of the Greek and English language
• Bachelor’s or/and Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or a related field from an accredited institution
• Doctorate degree or equivalent (applicable only for the position of Research Associate) in the subject areas directly related to Electrical Power Systems or Engineering and Technology, or other related field from an accredited institution.
The positions are on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on satisfactory performance evaluation. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and will be between €1500 – €2500 for Research Engineer I, and between €1900 – €3200 for Research Associate. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus government funds will be deducted. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Maternity Protection Law 1997(Ν.100(Ι)/1997), and the existing amendment laws.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link:
• Cover letter explaining the interest of the applicant in pursuing a career at the KIOS CoE, along with employment availability date.
• Short summary of prior work experiences, activities, and accomplishments (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum).
• A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek.
• Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD or other degree(s).
• Copy of English language certificate.
• Identify at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 15th of December 2023. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The University of Cyprus (UCY) is committed to promoting inclusivity, diversity, and equality, as well as the elimination of all forms of discrimination in order to provide a fair, safe, and pleasant environment for the entire university community, where students and staff members will feel supported both in their professional and personal development, within and beyond their multiple identities. To this end, UCY seeks to create the necessary conditions that will encourage and respect diversity and ensure dignity both in the workplace and society at large. Moreover, UCY has adopted specific policies to promote equal opportunities, as well as respect and understanding of diversity, while it is committed to promoting and maintaining a working, teaching, and learning environment, free from any form of discrimination, whether direct or indirect.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.