The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces one (1) research position, for full-time employment. The successful candidate will conduct research under the supervision of Assistant Prof. Mathaios Panteli and Prof. Marios Polycarpou.
The required skills and expertise for the announced position include one or more of the following areas:
- Design, planning and operation of power systems
- Power distribution networks and their integrated and interdependency modelling with other critical infrastructure systems (e.g., water, communication and transportation)
- Water-energy nexus optimization, planning and operation
The following will be considered a strong advantage (one or more):
- Technical proficiency in decision-making and optimization techniques, as well as experience with relevant optimization software packages (e.g., GAMS and FICO Xpress)
- Understanding of flexibility mechanisms and operational solutions in power systems (e.g., demand side response)
- Techno-economic analysis and management of distributed energy resources (e.g., renewable-based microgrids) in future power systems
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 67th young university (under 50 years) and #251-300 worldwide in Engineering and Technology by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These great distinctions are the result of its dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus managed to stand out and receive awards for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic contexts of research. The University of Cyprus becomes better every year; therefore, it wishes to attract the best employees.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and has recently been upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 145 people, who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects.
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures including power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunities’ employer.
Short Description – Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the area of power systems and optimization. Depending on their qualifications and expertise, the successful candidate may be responsible to prepare reports and project deliverables, contribute to the preparation of research proposals, and assist in the supervision of undergraduate students. Furthermore, the successful candidate is expected to publish his/her research results in top international conferences and journals.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and/or in a team in fundamental and/or applied research, typically in the context of research and/or innovation projects. The ideal candidate must be able to produce, publish, and present research results in high quality conferences and journals and/or engage in innovation activities and transfer of knowledge, be able to prepare reports and project deliverables for KIOS CoE project(s), attend academic and/or other conferences and seminars for further personal and professional development, assist in the preparation of research and/or innovation proposals, present periodically to KIOS personnel the progress of their research, and assist in the training, education, and dissemination activities of the KIOS CoE.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or/and Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or a related field from an accredited institution
- Doctorate degree or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to Electrical Power Systems or Engineering and Technology, or other related field from an accredited institution
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €1900 – €3100. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment.
- Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date
- Short description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (1-page maximum)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- The names and contact information of at least two academics, who can provide reference letters upon request.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 16 April 2021, at 5pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by the Selection Committee. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE. For more information, please contact Dr. Mathaios Panteli (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e-mail at email@example.com .