Title: Special Scientist for Research (Software Engineer)
No. of positions: One (1)
Category: Employment contract
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence at the University of Cyprus announces one (1) Special Scientist for Research (Software Engineer) position, for full-time employment. The successful candidate will be in charge for the integration of cybersecurity solutions for modern energy systems.
Who we are:
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 180 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
What we do:
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures. Such infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks, cybersecurity and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on various high-profile projects with great impact on society and the environment, not only on a local but also on a global scale.
In KIOS we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support the continuous personnel evolvement and development, both personally and professionally, to fulfill your long- term goals. We offer internal and external professional training, covering both technical and soft skills.
The successful candidate is expected to:
• Oversee the software integration activities of related Innovation Action (IA) research projects dealing with a unified cybersecurity tool for modern energy systems.
• Develop and automate containerized software applications related to cybersecurity functionalities.
• Lead software development lifecycle across partner institutions.
• Assist and work on the design, development, modification, debugging and maintenance of software code according to the functional and non-functional software requirements.
• Build rapid prototypes and work on fast paced projects.
• Follow software engineering standards, software development methodologies and release processes, to ensure code is maintainable and scalable.
• Demonstrate the software products to stakeholders.
• Prepare project reports and project deliverables.
• Work within a team, collaborate and add value through participation in peer code reviews.
• Develop and maintain world-class components and services in different languages and technologies.
The required skills and expertise for the announced position include the following:
• Strong experience with Python or Java or Go programming languages.
• Good knowledge of systems programming languages such as C or C++.
• Experience with software development lifecycle processes such as DevOps.
• Experience with containers and container automation/scaling such as Docker or Kubernetes.
• Knowledge of secure application development.
• Knowledge of version control.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
• Creative thinker
• Problem solver
• Be reliable and trustworthy
• Be flexible and eager to learn
• Be able to adapt in a fast-paced dynamic environment
• Have good communication and organizational skills
• Very good knowledge of the English language
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or other relevant field from an accredited institution.
• Previous experience will be considered an advantage.
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and will be between €1750 – €2500. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus government funds will be deducted. A 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Maternity Protection Law 1997(Ν.100(Ι)/1997), and the existing amendment laws.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link:
• Cover letter explaining the interest of the applicant in pursuing a career at the KIOS CoE, along with employment availability date.
• Short summary of prior work experiences, activities and accomplishments (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
• A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
• Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc or other degree(s)
• Copy of English language certificate
• Identify at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 15th of December 2023 at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The University of Cyprus (UCY) is committed to promoting inclusivity, diversity, and equality, as well as the elimination of all forms of discrimination in order to provide a fair, safe, and pleasant environment for the entire university community, where students and staff members will feel supported both in their professional and personal development, within and beyond their multiple identities. To this end, UCY seeks to create the necessary conditions that will encourage and respect diversity and ensure dignity both in the workplace and society at large. Moreover, UCY has adopted specific policies to promote equal opportunities, as well as respect and understanding of diversity, while it is committed to promoting and maintaining a working, teaching, and learning environment, free from any form of discrimination, whether direct or indirect.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.