Title: Special Scientist (Software Engineer)
Category: Employment contract
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (CoE) (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces a call for Software Engineering positions (Back-end, Front-end, QA – Testing, Mobile apps, DevOps, Security, IoT), for full-time employment. We are looking for enthusiast developers regardless of their level of expertise. The successful candidates will analyze, design, implement, maintain and document software solutions under multiple KIOS CoE projects funded by the European Union, including the flagship KIOS CoE Teaming project, as well as national or industry-funded projects.
Who we are:
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 170 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
What we do:
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures. Such infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on various high-profile projects with great impact on the society, not only in a local but also in a global scale. In a few words, you contribute towards forming the future! In KIOS we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support the continuous personnel evolvement and development, both personally and professionally, to fulfill your long-term goals. We offer internal and external professional training, covering both technical and soft skills, to suit yours and the Center’s needs.
In KIOS CoE, we embrace flexible and modern working arrangements and feel this is an important part of the benefits that we have to offer. It helps us to create a diverse and inclusive workplace. In this context, we are open to discuss the possibility of working from home some days of the week and flexible start and finish times.
These are just a few of our many benefits. Some others are: Discount in all the facilities of the University of Cyprus, such as gym, tennis courts, basketball courts, football fields, cafes, restaurant, etc.; Opportunities for secondments both locally and internationally; Social events and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out one or more of the below duties and responsibilities:
• Assist and work on the design, development, modification, debugging, testing and maintenance of software solutions according to the functional and non-functional software requirements
• Build rapid prototypes and work on fast paced projects
• Follow software engineering standards, software development methodologies and release processes, to ensure code is maintainable and scalable
• Acquire software requirements, prepare project reports, project deliverables and demonstrate the software products to stakeholders
• Work within a team, collaborate and add value through participation in peer code reviews
• Design and execute QA methodologies and validation strategies by analyzing technical requirements to identify test requirements and ensuring that the software meets specifications
• Ensure the compliance with security concepts and frameworks such as ISO 27001, EU Regulations related to security, black box testing and white box testing
• Work with server related backend development including: Apache, Nginx, Microsoft, AWS, Linux
• Work with several Frameworks/Libraries including: .Net, Laravel, Django, Flask, Node.JS, ReactJS, AngularJS, JQuery, Bootstrap and Others
• Work with APIs such as: RESTful API, SOAP and Others
• Work with containerization such as Docker.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
• Creative thinker
• Attention to detail
• Problem solver
• Be reliable and trustworthy
• Be flexible and eager to learn
• Be able to adapt in a fast-paced dynamic environment
• To have good communication and organizational skills
• Very good knowledge of the English language.
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’ s degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or other relevant field from an accredited institution.
The positions are on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and will be between €1750 and €2500. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus government funds will be deducted. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment
• Cover letter explaining the interest of the applicant in pursuing a career at the KIOS CoE, along with employment availability date
• Short summary of prior work experiences, activities and accomplishments (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
• A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
• Copies of transcripts of BSc/ MSc or other degree(s)
• Identify at least two referees that can provide reference letters
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22 893458 or via email at email@example.com.