The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE) announces 10 Master-level Scholarships for the MSc program in Intelligent Critical Infrastructure Systems. The program is offered by the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Cyprus in collaboration with the KIOS CoE and Imperial College London, UK.
Scholarships will be awarded based on merit and can cover up to 100% of the tuition fees. In addition, there is the option for successful scholarship applicants to receive a monthly salary for part-time employment at KIOS CoE.
MSc Program Information
The Program’s objective is to teach highly innovative intelligent system methods and tools from emerging Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). The main purpose is to tackle challenging problems in modern Cyber-Physical Systems, with emphasis on monitoring, control, management and security in critical infrastructure systems. These systems include electric power and energy systems, water distribution networks, telecommunication networks, transportation systems, and emergency response systems.
The program offers a unique opportunity for professionals working in critical infrastructure systems to further specialize and formalize their education with the newest ICT approaches relevant to modern infrastructures. Moreover, it provides an excellent option for students with a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or natural and applied sciences who want to pursue a professional career in critical infrastructure systems or an advanced research career by progressing with a PhD degree in the field.
The duration of the program is 3 semesters (1.5 years) and is available to study part-time (6 semesters / 3 years maximum). Courses are delivered by academics from University of Cyprus and Imperial College London and the language of instruction is English.
For more information about the MSc program visit the program’s website at www.msccis.ucy.ac.cy or contact us directly at +357 22893460 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus, founded in 1989, is a young and dynamic academic institution of national and international recognition. Focused on excellence in education, research and innovation, the University of Cyprus is renowned for its high-impact research proﬁle and quality of teaching. In the latest prestigious Shanghai List (2022), it ranked between the top 501-600 universities in the world. Today, it is ranked 99th young university (under 50 years) and #401-500 worldwide by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These distinctions indicate the university’s focus on research excellence and continuous development. Therefore, it aims to attract high-skilled researchers who will bring new ideas and contribute to the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of society.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence operates within the University of Cyprus and currently is the largest research center at the University. KIOS is a leading research and innovation center in Cyprus and the region on Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). It was established in 2008 and was subsequently upgrade into a European Research Center of Excellence through the EU strategic Horizon 2020 Teaming project in 2017. The Center collaborates strategically with Imperial College, London, as well as with a plethora of local and international research organizations and other stakeholders.
The Center provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top-level research in the area of ICT, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control, Management and Security of Critical Infrastructures, including power and energy systems, water, transportation and telecommunication networks, healthcare systems, as well as systems for emergency management and response.
Currently, the Center employs more than 180 people and is involved in more than 40 research and innovation projects funded by various European and national funding agencies, as well as in more than 28 projects funded by the industry. In addition, the Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates can apply under any of the following two scholarship schemes, which can be combined (applicants can apply for both and will be evaluated for each scheme separately):
- Tuition Scholarship: Includes 50% – 100% of the University tuition fees, depending on applicant qualifications
- Employment Scholarship: Includes a gross monthly salary for employment at KIOS CoE in the range of €750 – €1100, depending on the hours of employment. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012. Employment contracts will be offered on an annual basis, which will be renewed for the duration of the MSc studies based on satisfactory annual performance evaluation.
Job Opportunities for the Employment Scholarship scheme:
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to work as a Research Engineer / Software Engineer at KIOS CoE, providing technical, research and development support to research and innovation projects. It includes the opportunity to conduct research and publish research results. The exact position, along with detailed job description on duties and responsibilities, will be determined after evaluation and based on the applicant’s qualifications.
In order to be considered for a Scholarship, candidates should also consult the UCY Graduate School (https://www.ucy.ac.cy/graduateschool/) for University admission requirements and applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or Science discipline.
- Previous research or relevant technical experience will be considered an advantage
- A very good knowledge of the English language. Proficiency in English can be demonstrated through one of the following:
- GCSE: at least C-grade
- IELTS Academic: a minimum total score of 6.5
- Test of English as a foreign language (ETS TOEFL®): a minimum score of 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based) or 80 (internet-based).
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
- Cover letter that specifies the scholarship scheme of interest (Tuition Scholarship and/or Employment scholarship). Applicants interested in the Employment Scholarship scheme must also state employment availability date and why they are interested in pursuing employment at KIOS CoE.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Short description of academic, research and other relevant experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (1 page maximum).
- Copies of degrees and transcripts of other BSc/MSc degree(s).
- Copy of English language certificate.
- At least two reference letters from University Professors, uploaded directly from the referees.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The University of Cyprus (UCY) is committed to promoting inclusivity, diversity, and equality, as well as the elimination of all forms of discrimination in order to provide a fair, safe, and pleasant environment for the entire university community, where students and staff members will feel supported both in their professional and personal development, within and beyond their multiple identities. To this end, UCY seeks to create the necessary conditions that will encourage and respect diversity and ensure dignity both in the workplace and society at large. Moreover, UCY has adopted specific policies to promote equal opportunities, as well as respect and understanding of diversity, while it is committed to promoting and maintaining a working, teaching, and learning environment, free from any form of discrimination, whether direct or indirect.
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Wednesday, 31 May 2023, at 5 p.m. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately, and shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.