The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces two (2) Special Scientist for Research positions, directed towards Ukrainian researchers, for full-time employment. The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct research under multiple KIOS CoE projects funded by the European Union, including the flagship KIOS CoE Teaming project, the ERC Synergy Grant entitled Water-Futures (https://waterfutures.eu), as well as national or industry-funded projects.
Who we are:
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 170 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunities’ employer.
What we do:
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures including power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on various high-profile projects with great impact on the community end the environment, not only in a local but also in a global scale. In KIOS we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support the continuous personnel evolvement and development, both personally and professionally, to fulfill your long-term goals. We offer internal and external professional training, covering both technical and soft skills, to suit yours and the Center’s needs.
Short description – Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidates will be responsible to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control, Security and Management of Critical Infrastructure Systems in order to produce knowledge and simultaneously promote KIOS CoE. Depending on their qualifications and expertise, the successful candidates may be responsible to prepare reports and project deliverables, contribute to the preparation of research proposals, and assist in the supervision of graduate and/or undergraduate students. Furthermore, the successful candidates are expected to publish their research results in top international conferences and journals.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- Creative thinker
- Attention to detail
- Problem solver
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Flexible and eager to learn
- Able to adapt in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Good communication, organizational and self-management skills
- Very good knowledge of the English language
The required skills and expertise for the sought-out researchers include one or more of the following areas:
- Cyber security and cyber-physical security
- Intelligent control
- Machine Learning
- Autonomous multi-agent systems
- Semantics and Ontologies
- Internet of Things (IoT) Technology
- Security of Industrial Control Systems
- Intelligent Dependable and Secure Embedded and Real-Time Systems
- Edge Computing
- Monitoring and control of smart water networks or power and energy systems or intelligent transportation systems or telecommunication networks or smart buildings
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or Computer Science or a related field from an accredited institution
- Doctorate degree or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to Information and Communication Technologies or Engineering and Technology or Natural, Applied and Social sciences.
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and will be between €1900 – €3200. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus government funds will be deducted. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment
- Cover letter explaining the interest of the applicant in pursuing a career at the KIOS CoE, along with employment availability date
- Short summary of prior work experiences, activities and accomplishments (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
- The name and contact information of at least two referees, who can provide reference letters upon request.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Thursday, 30th June 2022, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately after receipt. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.