The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces three (3) Research Engineer positions, for full-time or part-time employment. The successful candidates will conduct Research and Development activities within the context of Research and Innovation, as well as provide technical and research support in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructure Systems, under multiple KIOS projects funded by the European Union, including the flagship KIOS CoE Teaming project, as well as national or industry-funded projects. Applicants are expected to have physical presence to the KIOS CoE in Nicosia, Cyprus.
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 67th young university (under 50 years) and #251-300 worldwide in Engineering and Technology by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These great distinctions are the result of our dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus managed to stand out and receive awards for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic contexts of research. The University of Cyprus becomes better every year; therefore, it wishes to attract the best employees.
To this end, the University constantly develops its programs of study and recruits high-caliber staff who will contribute significantly to the design of new curricula, both at undergraduate and graduate level. One of the strategic aims of the University of Cyprus is the further promotion and development of research, in which new staff are expected to play an essential role.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and has recently been upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 130 researchers (at various ranks/levels), who are supported by externally funded research projects. The vision of KIOS is that will grow to 180-200 researchers by 2022.
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures including power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunities’ employer.
Short Description/Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidates will provide technical and research support for KIOS CoE projects, prepare process manuals and guidelines, communicate and interface with Software Engineers, perform installations, set-up, deployment and maintenance of hardware, coordinate small teams and/or small-scale projects related to their expertise and assist in the preparation of reports and project deliverables.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must possess excellent knowledge of the English Language, have excellent team-working skills, have strong communication and interpersonal skills, and have strong selfmanagement skills. He/She must possess technical and analytical skills and the knowledge needed to perform specific mechanical, information technology, mathematical or scientific tasks, and must be able to collect and analyze information, solve problems and make decisions. Must have the ability of critical thinking, where he/she should be able to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to specific problems. The ability to prioritize tasks and manage effectively his/ her own time is essential.
The ideal candidate must also exhibit knowledge of the practical applications of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services, and/or knowledge in technical fields used to handle digital information and communication.
Job-Specific Skills and Expertise:
The applicants can be junior entry level or experienced research engineers. They need to demonstrate good understanding in some of the skills in one of the following areas, and an interest to learn new topics. Please note that training will be provided upon hiring to enhance knowledge on the below areas:
- Modelling and Simulation of Power systems, HVAC systems, building environments.
- Power electronics, modeling and simulation (MATLAB/Simulink, DIgSILENT PowerFactory or PSCAD software)
- Water hydraulics and/or quality in water systems, statistical analysis, control and optimization for water systems.
- EPANET library, Matlab and/or Python.
- Machine learning and statistics (supervised learning, time-series analysis and forecasting), predictive analysis and modelling
- Traffic modelling and simulation both Macro and Microenvironments, control theory related with autonomous systems (experience with SUMO simulator is considered as advantage)
- Computer vision/deep learning algorithms, image acquisition and data capturing, and data labelling/annotation and real-time analysis
- GIS technologies such as QGIS, ArcGIS, Postgres, Geoserver, Geonode, GeoDjango (or similar), QGIS plugin development
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or Computer Science or other relevant field from an accredited institution.
- Previous experience will be considered an advantage.
The positions are on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered but this is renewable based on performance. The annual salary includes employee’s contributions, depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €18000 – €30000. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment
- Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date and why they want to pursue a career at KIOS CoE.
- Short description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (1 page maximum)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- Identify at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Wednesday, 10th of February 2021, at 5 pm. The evaluation will begin immediately upon receival of the application. For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .