Title: Special Scientist for Research (Research Associate)
No of positions: One (1)
Category: Employment contract
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The Department of Social and Political Sciences, in collaboration with the KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces one (1) Special Scientist for Research position, for full-time employment. The successful candidates will conduct research under projects funded by the European Union, as well as national or industry- funded projects.
The required skills and expertise for the announced position include one or more of the following areas:
- Qualitative data processing and analysis in Social Sciences;
- Drafting research proposals.
The following will be considered a strong advantage:
- Experience with research and/or policy making, in the fields of Sociology or Social Anthropology
- Publications in the fields of Sociology or Social Anthropology
Department of Social and Political Sciences
The Department of Social and Political Sciences (SPS) in one of the largest university departments in Cyprus with about 400 undergraduate, 50 graduate, and 12 doctoral students. It offers academic programs in the three distinct fields of Sociology, Political Science and Journalism. The SPS is a dynamic and creative academic community of 16 faculty members, 15 adjunct lecturers and a number of research associates.
More specifically, the Department:
- Runs three popular undergraduate programs in Political Science (since 1996), Sociology (since 1997) and Journalism (since 2012); an MA program in Political Science (since 2012) and two PhD programs in Political Science and Sociology (since 1999).
- Runs a Departmental Internship Program, offering the opportunity to undergraduate and graduate students to gain practical training in important public and private organizations.
- Runs one of the largest Erasmus university programs sending and hosting dozens of students through a well-established network of more than 50 universities.
- Participates in inter-university European programs and organizes an international summer school.
- Has an internationalized faculty that undertakes and publishes high-quality research and serves in the editorial boards and editorial teams of well-known international journals.
- Has faculty members who are actively involved in social outreach activities in Cyprus; policy- making in various national and international bodies; and offers expertise in various fora.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 170 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures. Such infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia, and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and/or in a team in fundamental and/or applied research, typically in the context of research and/or innovation projects.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Social Sciences (e.g. Political Science, Sociology or Psychology, Education) from an accredited institution
- Doctorate degree or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to Information and Communication Technologies or Engineering and Technology or Natural, Applied and Social sciences.
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a six-month contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance and on the changing needs of the project. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €1600 – €2500. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus government funds will be deducted. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Maternity Protection Law 1997(Ν.100(Ι)/1997), and the existing amendment laws.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link:
- Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date as well as the research area that they apply to (a candidate may apply in more than one area)
- Short description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
- At least two reference letters, uploaded directly from the referees
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 9th of September 2022, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e- mail at email@example.com .