The NIREAS International Water Research Center (nireas-iwrc.org) in collaboration with the KIOSResearch and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announce one (1) research position for full-time employment. The successful candidate will conduct research under the supervision of Prof. Despo Fatta-Kassinos (Nireas-IWRC) and Prof. Marios Polycarpou (KIOS CoE).
The required skills and expertise for the announced position include one or more of the following areas:
• Analysis of chemical and/or microbiological contaminants and/or contaminants of emerging concern in drinking water systems
• Modelling of reaction kinetics using differential and/or differential-algebraic equations in drinking water
• Application of protocols and analytical methods for measuring chemical/microbiological contaminants in drinking water
• Microbiology, analytical chemistry, water pathogens monitoring and detection, disinfection, contaminants of emerging concern, by-products formation
The following will be considered a strong advantage (one or more):
• Experience with modelling in MATLAB or Python or R
• Experience with modeling in EPANET and EPANET-MSX or modelling transport-reaction dynamics
• Development of analytical protocols using advanced liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry
• Development of analytical protocols using PCR/real-time PCR
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 67th young university (under 50 years) and #251-300 worldwide in Engineering and Technology by the Times New Higher Education Rankings. These great distinctions are the result of its dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus managed to stand out and receive awards for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic contexts of research. The University of Cyprus becomes better every year; therefore, it wishes to attract the best employees.
NIREAS International Water Research Center (NIREAS-IWRC)
Nireas-IWRC is one of the research units of the University Cyprus, established in 2011. Its activities include interdisciplinary research aiming at the solution of complex scientific and engineering problems under the unifying theme of water management. They aim at flexible and user-centric shared solutions for sustainable use of water resources and for better management of ecosystems including the mitigation of environmental degradation and associated threats. The overarching aim of Nireas-IWRC is to integrate and leverage this interdisciplinary research for the solution of complex scientific and engineering water problems. NIREAS-IWRC’s laboratories are state-of-the-art facilities that adopt the latest in research and learning technologies and encourage greater innovation and collaboration, whilst also supporting individual scholarship. They also enhance the vital relationships with industry and various other research centers by providing space for joint research activity and exhibition. Nireas-IWRC’s research activities are founded on seven equally important pillars: 1) water/wastewater quality, monitoring and treatment, 2) drinking water supply, distribution and management, 3) environmental biotechnology, 4) subsurface processes and engineering, 5) hydrologic, hydrogeomorphic and hydro-climatic processes, 6) geophysical hydrodynamics and 7) socioeconomic analysis of water-related issues.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and has recently been upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 130 researchers (at various ranks/levels), who are supported by externally funded research projects. KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and
Security of Critical Infrastructures including power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunities’ employer.
Short Description – Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the area of drinking water quality and mathematical modelling. Depending on their qualifications and expertise, the successful candidate may be responsible to prepare reports and project deliverables, contribute to the preparation of research proposals, and assist in the supervision of graduate and/or undergraduate students and/or other researchers.
Furthermore, the successful candidate is expected to publish their research results in top international conferences and journals.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and/or in a team in fundamental and/or applied research, typically in the context of research and/or innovation projects. The ideal candidate must be able to produce, publish, and present research results in high quality conferences and journals and/or engage in innovation activities and transfer of knowledge, be able to prepare reports and project deliverables for Nireas-IWRC and KIOS CoE project(s), attend academic and/or other conferences and seminars for further personal and professional
development, assist in the preparation of research and/or innovation proposals, present
periodically to Nireas-IWRC and KIOS personnel the progress of their research, and assist in the
training, education, and dissemination activities of the Nireas-IWRC and KIOS CoE.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s or/and Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or Environmental Engineering or Chemistry or Microbiology or a related field from an accredited institution
• Doctorate degree or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to Chemical Engineering or Environmental Engineering or Chemistry or Microbiology or other related field from an accredited institution
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €1900 – €3100. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link:
• Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date as well as the research area that they apply to (a candidate may apply in more than one area)
• Short description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (1-page maximum)
• A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
• Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
• At least two reference letters, uploaded directly from the referees
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 26th March 2021, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. For more information, please contact Prof. Despo Fatta-Kassinos (email@example.com) or the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .