The Department of Social and Political Sciences, in collaboration with the KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announce one (1) research position, for full-time employment. The successful candidates will conduct research under projects funded by the European Union, as well as national or industry-funded projects.
The required skills and expertise for the announced positions include one or more of the following areas:
- Creation and Piloting of qualitative and quantitative research instruments in Social Sciences (e.g. Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, Education);
- Data collection, cleaning and analysis;
- Drafting research proposals.
The following will be considered a strong advantage:
- Experience with planning and conducting laboratory experiments (e.g. human response to strong stimuli, inducing emotions);
- Experience with data analysis using the R platform.
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 67th young university (under 50 years) by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These great distinctions are the result of our dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus managed to stand out and receive awards for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic contexts of research. The University of Cyprus becomes better every year; therefore, it wishes to attract the best employees.
To this end, the University constantly develops its programs of study and recruits high-caliber staff who will contribute significantly to the design of new curricula, both at undergraduate and graduate level. One of the strategic aims of the University of Cyprus is the further promotion and development of research, in which new staff are expected to play an essential role.
Department of Social and Political Sciences
The Department of Social and Political Sciences SPS in one of the largest university departments in Cyprus with about 400 undergraduate, 50 graduate, and 12 doctoral students. It offers academic programs in the three distinct fields of Sociology, Political Science and Journalism. The SPS is a dynamic and creative academic community of 16 faculty members, 15 adjunct lecturers and a number of research associates.
More specifically, the Department:
- Runs three popular undergraduate programs in Political Science (since 1996), Sociology (since 1997) and Journalism (since 2012); an MA program in Political Science (since 2012) and two PhD programs in Political Science and Sociology (since 1999).
- Runs a Departmental Internship Program, offering the opportunity to undergraduate and graduate students to gain practical training in important public and private organizations.
- Runs one of the largest Erasmus university programs sending and hosting dozens of students through a well-established network of more than 50 universities.
- Participates in inter-university European programs and organizes an international summer school
- Has an internationalized faculty that undertakes and publishes high-quality research and serves in the editorial boards and editorial teams of well-known international journals.
- Has faculty members who are actively involved in social outreach activities in Cyprus; policymaking in various national and international bodies; and offers expertise in various fora.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and has recently been upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 130 researchers (at various ranks/levels), who are supported by externally funded research projects.
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures including power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunities’ employer.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and/or in a team in fundamental and/or applied research, typically in the context of research and/or innovation projects.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Social Sciences (e.g. Political Science, Sociology or Psychology, Education) from an accredited institution
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a six-month contract will be offered but this is renewable based on performance and on the changing needs of the project. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €1600 – €2500. From the gross earnings, the University of Cyprus will deduct the relevant sum which corresponds to the contributions of the employee to the various Governmental Funds and possibly income tax. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment.
- Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date as well as the research area that they apply to (a candidate may apply in more than one area)
- Short description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (1-page maximum)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- At least two reference letters, uploaded directly from the referees
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 27th of November 2020, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .