The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces one (1) Senior Software Engineer position, for full-time employment. The successful candidate will work under multiple KIOS CoE projects funded by the European Union, including the flagship KIOS CoE Teaming project, as well as national or industry-funded projects. He/She should be able to lead a team responsible for building high-quality, innovative, and fully performing software in order to support KIOS CoE for achieving its goals and objectives and contribute to the sustainability and development of the Center. Applicants are expected to have physical presence at the KIOS CoE in Nicosia, Cyprus.
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was founded in 1989 and admitted its first students in 1992. Within a short time, the
University of Cyprus achieved international distinctions. Today, it is ranked as the 84th young university (under
50 years) and #501-600 worldwide by the Times Higher Education Rankings.
These notable distinctions are the result of high dedication to continuous development. The pursuit of research excellence constitutes a key strategic objective of the University of Cyprus. Moreover, the University continually extends and upgrades its programs of undergraduate and graduate studies.
To best serve its strategic objectives, the University recruits high-caliber personnel who can make significant
contributions to the development of internationally competitive research projects and to the design and delivery of new curricula.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and in 2017 was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 145 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects.
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research and innovation in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures. Such infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
Short Description – Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate is expected to:
• Develop software solutions, identifying software system requirements, perform software system analysis, design and implement software programs/systems, maintain (review, troubleshoot, debug and upgrade) existing systems, develop program and/or system documentation, including description reports, user-manuals, administrator-manuals, flowcharts/layouts/diagrams
• Manage and/ or coordinate teams and/or projects related to his/her expertise, identify and allocate tasks, communicate and arrange meetings with all the stakeholders involved in a project and be responsible for the preparation of reports and project deliverables
• Contribute to the KIOS CoE by assisting in the training, education and dissemination activities of the Center, attend training programs, seminars, competitions and other KIOS CoE educational and networking activities as well as be involved in the committees and/or subcommittees of the Center.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must exhibit knowledge of the application of principles used in the field of engineering, to the design, development, testing, deployment and management of software systems, have excellent teamworking skills, excellent organizational and self-management skills, very good communication skills and very good knowledge of the English and Greek Language. He/She must possess technical and analytical skills, should have the abilities of critical thinking and complex-problem solving, where he/she should be able to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to specific problems. Further, he/she should have to take initiatives and make decisions and have the quality of being reliable and trustworthy, self-discipline, be able to demonstrate a commitment to carrying out his/her responsibilities and have an adherence to ethical principles.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or other relevant field from an accredited institution.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience as a software engineer or in a relevant software developer position.
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a two-year contract with a 6-month probation period will be
offered, which is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €2900 – €4200. From this amount, employee contributions to the Cyprus Government funds will be deducted. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link:
• Cover letter explaining the interest of the applicant in pursuing a career at the KIOS CoE, along with employment availability date
• Short summary of prior work experiences, activities and accomplishments (can be combined with the cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
• Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s) and any other relevant professional certifications
• A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
• Identify at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
The University of Cyprus will collect and process all candidate personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 7th of May 2021, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by the Selection Committee. Candidates will be informed of the result of their application by the KIOS CoE.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via
e-mail at email@example.com .